If you find your hair line receding, and your hair thinning, there could be many reasons.
Hair fall can result from a hormonal imbalance, poor diet or just plain neglect. Your trichologist would know best what you can do in these situations.
But here are some easy tips that you can include in your routine so that your lovely mop of hair stays where it belongs – on your head. Below are the essential tips to prevent hair loss naturally.
- Eat Protein-Rich Foods: Foods such as fish, chicken, eggs, milk, sprouts, lentils and tofu are rich in proteins. Include more of these foods cooked with less oil and spices in your regular diet.
- Drink Plenty of Water: Drinking at least 2 litres of water a day helps to improve blood circulation in the body. This will provide better nourishment to your hair as well, making it look healthy and lustrous. So drink up!
- Cover Your Hair: As far as possible, avoid stepping out of the house with oily or wet hair. These will cause dust and grime to stick to your hair. Cover your hair with a scarf when you are walking on a dusty road. Also protect it from the sun. Prolonged exposure to harsh sunlight will cause your hair to grey.
- Oil and Wash Regularly: Oil your hair 2-3 times a week. Massage lukewarm oil into your scalp. This will open up the skin pores and allow the oil to penetrate the scalp more easily. Ask your doctor to recommend a suitable oil and shampoo. Use a conditioner to avoid dryness after washing.
- Use Clean Water for Washing: If the quality of water in your bathroom tap is not good, meaning high in chemical content, then use a water filter. Chemicals in the water can damage your hair more than clean it.
- Wash with Lukewarm Water: Use lukewarm water to wash your hair. Hot water can cause your scalp to become greasy and oily. This could cause scalp infections, leading to more hair loss.
- Rinse Completely: Make sure that you rinse your hair thoroughly after shampooing and conditioning. Any leftover traces of shampoo or conditioner on your scalp will cause itching, flaking, boils and infections. This in turn will cause hair loss.
- Use Blow Dryer Sparingly: If you already have hair loss, be discreet about using your blow dryer. Choose a lower temperature for gentle drying.
- Comb: Never comb your hair while it is still wet. Let it dry. Then use a wide-toothed comb to thoroughly comb your hair. This will prevent hair breakage.