Many of us have reservations about trying out brown rice recipes. Some of us find it difficult to cook brown rice perfectly while others find the colour unappealing. But brown rice is really very good for health. It contains fibres that keep you feeling full and therefore keep your blood sugar in check.
If the brown colour puts you off, you can always use other ingredients to add colour to your brown rice recipes.
Read on for a quick, healthy and delicious vegetarian recipe with brown rice. It’s pretty colourful too!
Colourful Brown Rice:
Preparation time: 40 min
Cooking time: 15 min
2 cups brown rice
5 cups water for cooking
2 cups thinly sliced onion
½ cup finely chopped garlic
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup chopped baby corn
1 cup chopped button mushrooms
½ cup chopped red capsicum
½ cup chopped yellow capsicum
2-3 finely chopped green chillies
½ cup finely chopped spring onions for garnish
2 tbsp oil
Soy sauce to taste
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook the rice in a pressure cooker on a medium flame. As the whistles grow shorter and shorter, you can turn off the gas.
2. Steam the carrots, mushrooms and baby corn in a steamer for about 5 minutes. This will ensure that they are cooked, yet crunchy.
3. Heat oil in a large pan. Add chopped chillies, onion and garlic. Saute till the onions turn pink.
4. Add the steamed vegetables and stir fry. The red and yellow capsicum should be added last.
5. Add the cooked brown rice to the vegetables. Mix well.
6. Add soya sauce to taste.
7. Now add salt according to your requirement.
8. Add black pepper powder to taste. This gives the rice a distinct fragrance and flavour.
9. Garnish with chopped spring onions.
Voila! You have a variety of colours on your plate.
This brown rice recipe needs some planning because of the many ingredients on the list. But it makes for a great meal because it is filling and packed with healthy vegetables.