Doxycycline is antimicrobial medicine which is used for the treatment of the infectious processes. This is an antibiotic from the group of tetracycline the action of which is characterized by the bacteriostatic properties.
The pharmacological activity of Doxycycline is manifested as to many originators of infection: gram-positive microorganisms, aerobic cocci, anaerobic and aerobic bacteria, gram-negative microorganisms, and also Chlamydia spp., Mycoplasma spp., and others.
Doxycycline inhibits the active phase of the bacteria development by means of the disorder of the nutritious process of the microorganisms. This antibiotic penetrates into the cells of bacteria and blocks synthesis of protein which is the main nutritious/building ingredient for the malignant microorganisms.
After absorption of the active ingredients of the medicine into the systemic blood flow, the action is started in about 2 hours. If Doxycycline is taken during the first symptoms of the infectious disease, the improvement of the symptoms will be in 3-4 days: fever will be reduced, inflammatory process and other symptoms will be decreased.
Indications for the use
Doxycycline is used in the treatment of the infectious diseases at any stage of the inflammatory process:
- Infections of the respiratory organs and HENT
- Inflammatory infections of the gastrointestinal tract
- Purulent skin and soft tissue infections
- Infections of the genitourinary system
- Syphilis, typhus, osteomyelitis, chlamydia, acne, plague, Lyme disease, and many others.
Doxycycline is recommended to be used in monotherapy of the infectious diseases without using the additional antibiotics.
In what dose Doxycycline taken?
- For the treatment of the infectious processes of the respiratory organs, HENT, and organs of the abdominal cavity, children over 12 years and adult patients are recommended to use Doxycycline 100 mg 1-2 times per day
- The dose of Doxycycline is 200 mg per day for the treatment of the chronic infections of the urinary system
- If syphilis, the dose of Doxycycline is 300 mg per day (100 mg 3 times per day)
- The average length of the treatment is 7-15 days
- If sexually transmitted infections, the treatment can last up to 4 weeks.
Patients at the age of 8-11 years are selected the dose taking into account the body weight: 2-3 mg of Doxycycline per 1 kg of the body weight. The daily dose is divided into 2-3 times.
The Doxycycline tablets can be taken at any time with enough water. Tetracycline antibiotics are not broken under the action of the gastric juice, and therefore Doxycycline can be taken regardless of the meals.
Administration of Doxycycline during pregnancy
As most tetracycline, Doxycycline can penetrate through placenta and influence on the fetus development. The antibiotic can disorder a normal development of teeth and inhibit the growth of bone in the fetus. Due to this reason, Doxycycline is contraindicated during pregnancy.
The breast feeding is stopped during the use of the medicine.
- Children under 8 years are not recommended to take Doxycycline because it can cause a disturbance in the development of the bone tissue of a child. Children are more exposed to the toxic action of this antibiotic and liver affections can happen.
- Patients with severe functional affection of liver and/or kidneys should lower the daily dose of Doxycycline, or replace this antibiotic.
- If you have had allergy to tetracycline antibiotics, Doxycycline is not recommended.
- In case of the prolonged use, the antifungal products should be taken for the prevention of candidiasis.