What is Flagyl?
Flagyl is an antimicrobic medical product of new generation which is used for treatment of infectious diseases of skin, internals, and joints. Active ingredient Metronidazole is a part of Flagyl.
Metronidazole is not a standard antibacterial preparation. Metronidazole is a medicine of strong antimicrobic action and it has antiprotozoal properties.
Flagyl is widely used in urological and gynecological clinical practice, as the primary means for the treatment of trichomoniasis in men and women.
Metronidazole has fast pharmacological effect concerning anaerobic microorganisms. It gets into the most body tissues and eliminates not only the symptoms of an illness, but also neutralizes the reason – pathogenic microorganisms.
Suppression of microorganisms happens due to interaction of Metronidazole with bacteria’s DNA. Metronidazole gets into the cellular structure of bacteria, and breaks its natural processes and prevents with further development.
Aerobic microorganisms and facultative anaerobes are insensitive to Flagyl, but for the suppression of these microorganisms, Flagyl is used as part of combination therapy with amoxicillin and other antibiotics. Amoxicillin successfully suppresses the development of resistance to metronidazole.
Indications for use
The FDA approved the drug Flagyl for the treatment of the following infectious diseases:
- Trichomoniasis vaginitis
- Trichomoniasis urethritis
- Amebic liver abscess
- Intestinal amebiasis
- Infection of the CNS
- Infection of the abdominal cavity
- Gastritis and duodenal ulcer
Flagyl is used to reduce post-operative complications, especially after the surgery of gastrointestinal tract and gynecological system.
Application and dosage of Flagyl
During anti-microbial therapy, Flagyl dosage can vary depending on the type of pathogen, the severity of symptoms and age of the patient.
- During the therapy of Trichomoniasis urethritis/vagin
itis, patients are prescribed 1 tablet Flagyl 250 mg 2 times a day, for 10 days. If treatment starts at the first symptoms of trichomoniasis, you can take only one dose of Flagyl (250mg).
- In the treatment of infections of the abdomen, dosage of Flagyl is 500 mg 2 times a day within 5-10 days
- In case of amebiasis, liver abscesses and severe infections of the central nervous system, dosage of Flagyl may be 500-1000 mg 2-3 times a day, depending on the severity of the disease.
Applying Flagyl without consultation with a doctor will not give the best results and can trigger a relapse of infection and the appearance of adverse reactions. So, before taking Flagyl, it is recommended to consult a doctor and get personalized recommendations for your specific clinical case.
Possible side effects
After applying the drug Flagyl patient may experience nausea, decreased appetite, diarrhea, confusion, weakness, urine staining in red-brown color.
These side effects occur in isolated cases and go away on their own, without medical intervention. No physical or emotional suffering. These side effects do not cause and do not affect the effectiveness of the antibacterial therapy.
Who is not recommended to take Flagyl?
- If patient has a strong allergic reaction to Flagyl, treatment should be stopped; consult a doctor.
- During pregnancy, take Flagyl only on doctor’s advice, and to conduct regular monitoring of liver and all vital organs and processes.
- In organic lesions of the central nervous system, you need to take Flagyl with extreme caution and reduce the daily dose, if necessary.
- Metronidazole causes intolerance to ethanol, so during treatment patient should avoid the use of alcohol or medications that contain ethyl alcohol.