Maxalt is a medicine to arrest migraine attacks and has the active ingredient Rizatriptan.
Migraine is a neurological disease which is characterized by a severe headache. Migraine differs from the common headache because the symptoms are often accompanied by nausea, vomiting, blurred vision, facial numbness, and others. Taking Maxalt can lower the intensity of the migraine symptoms and arrest coming attacks on the early stage.
All causes of migraine are not completely studied, however, one of the basic causes is a dilation of the vessels of brain and a development of edema. Maxalt removes the causative factors and activates certain type of the receptors which lead to the narrowing of the intracranial blood vessels.
Maxalt blocks the release of neuropeptide, so that the inflammatory reaction is reduced in the sensitive tissues of the brain and a pain impulse becomes weaker. Besides arresting headache, Maxalt reduces other symptoms of the migraine: it lowers a functional incapability, removes nausea, photophobia, and prevents a facial numbness.
The therapeutic effect of Maxalt occurs within 30 minutes after the use of the single dose and lasts for 12 hours depending on the sensitivity of the body to the medicine action.
Directions for the use
Maxalt is prescribed for the urgent treatment of the migraine symptoms: headache, prodrome, photophobia, nausea, and others.
Usage and dosage
The tablets of Maxalt should be swallowed with a full glass of water the medicine is used only for the symptomatic treatment of the migraine and is not used for the prolonged prophylaxis.
Using Maxalt during or after meals, the therapeutic effect occurs later, and therefore it is better to take the medicine on an empty stomach.
- To arrest the migraine symptoms, patients are recommended to take a single dose of Maxalt 10 mg
- If the patient does not feel any improvement of the symptoms within 2 hours, and headache becomes severe, another tablet of Maxalt 10 mg can be used
- Do not take more than 2 tablets of Maxalt 10 mg per day
- Patients with diseases of kidneys/liver, senior patients should take Maxalt 5 mg
Using more than 2 tablets of Maxalt per day, there is a chance of the development of overdose. Considering the pharmacological characteristics of Maxalt, hypertension, disorder of the cerebral circulation, or serious cardiovascular disorders can happen during the overdose. If the overdose is suspected, clean the gastro-intestinal tract and consult a doctor.
- Maxalt should be prescribed patients with exact diagnosis of migraine. This medicine is not recommended during atypical headache which can be caused by the disorder of the cerebral circulation or other medical states
- Patients with serious cardiovascular diseases (ischemic heart disease, arterial hypertension, myocardial infarction, and others) should be examined by cardiologist before using Maxalt, and the treatment will begin with the dose of 5 mg.
- Patients under 16 are not prescribed Maxalt
- Rizatriptan can be taken in 14 days after the last use of the MAO inhibitors. During the interaction of these ingredients, severe side effects can happen
- Patients with epilepsy may be contraindicated Maxalt to treat the migraine symptoms. It is necessary to consult a doctor and analyze the medical image of epilepsy
Pregnant women should be highly careful. The pathologic influence of Maxalt to fetus has not been detected during the medical studies, but it is better to avoid this medicine during pregnancy. If there is an urgent need to use Maxalt during lactation, a child should be fed by maternal formulas.