Proscar is antiandrogenic medicine for the treatment of the benign prostatic hyperplasia. It contains the active ingredient Finasteride.
Proscar is one of the most progressive drugs for the treatment of the benign prostatic hyperplasia in the modern medical practice. It improves a semiology of disease and neutralizes the basic cause of a disease.
Finasteride is 5alpha-reductase inhibitor, an enzyme which forms dihydrotestosterone, a biologically active form of testosterone in the cells of the prostate gland. Dihydrotestosterone can bind to the androgenic receptors and causes a growth of glandular tissue. Using Proscar reduces the concentration of dihydrotestosterone, so that the inflammation of prostate is reduced, and urination is regulated.
At early stages of the disease, when the prostate gland is slightly increased, Proscar provides the best action, and therefore the medicine is used mainly during I stage of adenoma. The treatment is long and takes at least 6 months.
The advantage of this medicine is a high efficiency. After the medical course, a natural urination is restored in more than 60% of men, and a surgical intervention will not be needed.
Directions for the use
Proscar is useful for:
- The reduction of the risk of acute urine retention
- The reduction of volume of the prostate gland during inflammatory processes related to the excessive activity of the androgenic hormones
How to take Proscar?
Proscar works in the minimal dose. As a prevention and treatment of the benign prostatic hyperplasia, men should take one tablet of Proscar per day. The recommended daily dose of Proscar is 5 mg. The use of the medicine in this dose helps to achieve a fast therapeutic reaction, without side effects.
The higher doses are pointless because the efficiency of the medicine is not increased according to the medical studies. To have a stable therapeutic effect, the treatment lasts within 6 months.
- Before using Proscar, it is necessary to eliminate the possibility of cancer of the prostate gland. In case of the malignant growth, the treatment is contraindicated
- In case of obstructive uropathy and hepatic failure, the treatment is contraindicated
- Proscar is not prescribed patients under 18 years because it can cause hormone disorders
- Women are contraindicated to take Proscar
- Digital rectal exam should be regularly made before the beginning of the therapy and during the treatment, and the other methods of the examination should be also used to detect the prostate cancer.
Probable side effects
A reduction of the sexual desire and erectile function can be recorded as the side effects of Finasteride. These are the most common side effects which are caused by the reduction of the androgenic hormones. After the end of using Proscar, the sexual function is completely restored.
Patients also record the development of skin rash, pain in chest, and light headache. These side effects appear seldom and pass within several days. If the man was diagnosed a malignant growth of the prostate, it is necessary to stop the use of Proscar and seek for a medical aid.