Valium is a widely known medicine for the treatment of the anxious states and has Diazepam. This medicine belongs to a group of benzodiazepine and has relevant antianxiety, sedative and anticonvulsive action.
Valium is regarded as one of the most effective drugs for the symptomatic treatment of the anxiety and is for sale all over the world. The mechanism of the action consists in the inhibition of some receptors in the central nervous system which provide an agitation effect to the body. When these receptors do not stimulate the central nervous system, the human is calm, does not have anxiety, fear, and is relaxed. Valium lowers the frequency of the convulsive seizures in patients with epilepsy, and the seizures pass easier.
The therapeutic effect of Valium begins in about 3-5 days and achieves the maximum in 2 weeks. A patient gradually feels a sedative effect, the anxiety disappears, and then a complete relaxation happens without any emotional tension.
Directions for the use
- Cerebrovascular disease
- Psychomotor agitation
- Organic brain damage
- The syndrome of alcohol abstinence
- psychosomatic disorders in obstetrics and gynecology
Contraindications for the use
- acute alcohol intoxication with the weakening of vital functions
- acute drug intoxication providing a depressing effect on the central nervous system
- severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- Children under the age of 1 year
Who should take Valium carefully?
In case of severe diseases of liver or kidneys, Valium should be used carefully. Perhaps, the reduction of the daily dose or the adjustment of the treatment will be needed. In case of cerebral or spinal ataxia, the use of Valium maybe stopped.
In case of the night apnea, Valium should be used carefully, and the treatment should be stopped during the respiratory distress.
Senior patients may be needed the dose reduction.
Instructions for the use
The period of the action of a single dose of Valium is short, and therefore the pills are used 2-3 times per day to maintain a stable therapeutic effect within entire day.
- As antianxiety product, Valium is taken in the dose of 5 mg 2-4 times per day regardless of the meals. The last use should be before going to bed. If the antianxiety effect of Valium 5 mg is weak, the single dose is increased up to 10 mg
- In case of the somatic disorders, Valium is used in the dose of 2,5 mg 2-3 times per day
- In pediatrics, Valium is taken in the dose of 5-10 mg 2-3 times per day. If acute psychoses, the maximal daily dose can gain 60 mg
In pediatrics, the doses are selected individually, depending on a child’s age, body weight, and severity.
In case of the overdose with Valium, an inhibiting action to the central nervous system is increased, so that the following symptoms can happen: paradoxal excitement, poor reflexes, short breathing, apnea, or severe reduction of the blood pressure.
Side effects of Valium
At the beginning of the treatment, some patients (especially senior ones) may have the following side effects: high fatigue, sleepiness, dizziness, weakness, lack of emotions, slow mental and motion reactions, dry mouth, and poor appetite.
During the prolonged treatment, the side effects are reduced and completely pass. Patients with an individual intolerance of Diazepam may experience severe side effects. In this case, consult a doctor and replace a medicine.