What is Zovirax?
Zovirax is an antiviral medication of new generation which blocks a herpes virus in the central nervous system and reduces the frequency of recurrence of herpes infection. Active ingredient the Acyclovir is a part of Zovirax, and there are not analogs to this ingredient.
The acyclovir isn’t toxic for a human body at all and affects only herpes virus cells. Action of the Acyclovir extends on all viruses of herpes therefore it is possible to take a medicine irrespective of localization and symptoms of the illness.
Zovirax begins to act at the first time of applying. Zovirax penetrates into the cells where the herpes virus is synthesized, and blocks their action and is built in and its structure of DNA. In subsequent exacerbations of herpes virus, its symptoms will be less painful and will cover only a small area of the skin
Zovirax increases the protective properties of the organism in the fight against the herpes virus. If you start using the product until the rash, it is possible to stop the worsening of a viral infection and clean the skin from inflammation completely in a couple of days.
If you start taking Zovirax after appearance of the herpes virus symptoms, it helps to start the regeneration of damaged tissue much faster as Zovirax acts as an anti-inflammator
When is Zovirax prescribed?
The drug Zovirax is recommended at the first symptoms of acute herpes virus: itching, burning, inflammation of the skin or mucous membranes.
For patients with immunodeficiency
How to take Zovirax?
Dosage and the treatment plan depend on the location and type of herpes symptoms of herpes virus.
In the symptomatic treatment of simple herpes virus (including genital herpes), patients are advised to take 1 tablet of Zovirax 200 mg every 4 hours, except bedtime. According to this plan, Zovirax 200 mg must be taken within 5 days.
- In the treatment of varicella single dose of Zovirax should be less than 800 mg.
- Zovirax 800 mg must be taken every 4 hours, except sleep time within 7-10 days.
- Patients with impaired intestinal absorption or severe immunodeficiency must increase dose to 2 times.
- For the prevention of relapse of herpes virus take 200-400 mg Zovirax per day for a long time, up to 1 year.
Recommendations for the use of Zovirax
- If you start to use Zovirax at the first sign of herpes, symptoms disappear within 3-4 days.
- Zovirax forms the crust in areas of rash; you should not remove it as it could trigger the formation of scars.
- In the treatment of genital herpes both partners should take Zovirax, regardless of whether partners used contraceptives or not.
- When using Zovirax Patients may appear headache, nausea, dizziness, and muscle weakness. Mild to moderate symptoms of side effects do not require quitting of the usage of Zovirax.
- The use of Zovirax with other antiviral drugs does not cause the amplifying of therapeutic effect and does not affect the rate of suppression of symptoms of herpes infection.
- Regular monitoring of renal function is required.
Zovirax should be prescribed for women during pregnancy with all possible caution and the medically grounded benefits to the mother and the potential risk to the fetus must be carefully studied. In clinical practice, there is no evidence of an increase in birth defects in children whose mothers took Zovirax during pregnancy.