Why are regular eye exams important for diabetics? Routine eye tests are important for diabetics because people with diabetes are at high risk with the eye related diseases. Eye disease that a diabetic can face is as a complication of diabetes. They can cause severe vision loss or even blindness!
This is why are regular eye exams important for diabetics.
1. Cataracts develop at an earlier age in people with diabetes.
2. Damage to the blood vessels in the retina called retinopathy. It is in high risk for diabetes.
3. A person with diabetes is nearly twice as likely to get glaucoma as the one without diabetes. Here there is increased in fluid pressure inside the eyes leading to vision loss
Glaucoma slowly and painlessly steals away your sight. It is the silent thief of sight because it has no symptoms—it does not make your eyes red or cause pain.
It is the second leading cause of blindness in the United States, and half of the people who have glaucoma don’t know that they have the disease and are not aware that they are going blind. As people with diabetics are at high eye disorders risk, doctors says why are regular eye exams important for diabetics.
Who is at risk for diabetic retinopathy?
1. All people with diabetes both type 1 and type 2 are at risk.
2. If you have diabetes for a long time, you are at risk
3. Pregnant women with diabetes are at risk.
4. 40-50% of Americans with diabetes have diabetic retinopathy.
Why are regular eye exams important for diabetics?
1. Anyone with diabetes should get a comprehensive dilated eye exam at least once a year.
2. Every pregnant woman with diabetes should have a comprehensive dilated eye exam
3. Your doctor can recommend treatment to help prevent its progression.
4. Early detection and timely treatment can prevent vision loss.
5. Timely treatment and appropriate follow-up care can reduce the risk of blindness by 95%
Prevention is better than cure!
People with diabetes should keep their levels of blood sugar, blood pressure, and blood cholesterol under control to prevent the progression of diabetic retinopathy. So instead of asking why are regular eye exams important for diabetics? Just go for an eye exam every 1-2 years for you vision and prevent eye diseases naturally!