Home Remedies for Dizziness, Giddiness and Vertigo
Self-Care for Dizziness and Vertigo
If you feel your vision is getting darkened or diminished and have a giddiness sensation, make sure that you change your lying position putting your head downwards. This means you lie down completely. If possible, keep both your legs in a higher position. As you do this, the blood flow to your heart will increase and the giddiness symptoms will get reduced. If you are not in a place where you can sleep or lie down, just bend forward and keep your head in between your legs in the sitting position.
How to Prevent Giddiness and Dizziness
- Make a mild change in your body’s position. Don’t change the lying position from one pose to another pose instantly. When you are tilting or rolling to the other side, do not make the moves instantly. Do not get up from bed instantly to stand. Particularly, sit for sometime before you are getting up from bed in the morning from your sleep.
- After getting up from your bed, do not walk instantly. Just stand for sometime before starting to walk.
- When you are walking in the hot sun or in heavy perspiration, give an interval of few minutes and stand for a while before continuing to walk again.
- Choose and wear your dresses comfortably according to the heat and temperature.
- Drink plenty of water. This will not only control the water loss of your body but will also keep the blood circulation properly.
- Avoid smoking and avoid drinking alcohol as well. Do not take any unsure or dangerous medications.
- If you feel the giddiness or dizziness, avoid driving vehicles. Do not operate any hard to operate or risky machineries.
- Do not climb up or climb down staircases when you have vertigo or dizziness.
- Make sure to get approval from a physician on your medicines and medication levels. Get a physician’s advice before carrying on with any medication.
Medical Help for Dizziness and Vertigo
Even if it is mild symptom but exists for weeks or months, it could be a dangerous problem related to your neurological system. If bleeding occurs in the anterior brain (small brain) vomiting sensation, giddiness, vertigo, double vision are symptoms to be understood. For these symptoms it requires immediate medical attention.
If giddiness and dizziness occurs due to various reasons, it is necessary to have proper medical history other systematic medical tests. Limiting your actions and taking medication for vertigo that occurs spontaneously need to be done with utmost care. Along with the medicines, your doctor will also recommend pose-changing exercises.
You should see the doctor on following conditions:
- Heavy illness or prolonged state of illness (especially if symptoms exist for days or weeks), symptoms come off and on.
- If symptoms come while you are on high blood pressure medications.
- If your stool is black in color, blood appears in your stool or if you find loss of blood.
Condition That Requires Emergency Medical Care
- If you feel the giddiness when you turn your neck or look in upward directions. Painful giddiness on head or on chest, dizziness, difficulty in breathing, loss of sensation, continuous tiredness, improper or irregular heartbeats, diminished vision, double vision, confused state of mind, difficulty in talking, nausea, vomiting –
- If any of these symptom is seen it is necessary to have medical attention.
- If the above said symptom occurs while you are awake.
- If dizziness occurs without any identical reason or without any symptom.
- If you get dizziness the first time or if the dizziness occurs without any particular reason.
- If wound occurs due to fall on dizziness.
Keep the person lied down until he or she receives medical help. As far as possible make the person lie down in supine (lying face upwards) position. If the person has vomiting sensation, make the person to lie in one-sided position. Keep the legs higher than the head position. If someone gets dizziness during sitting position, make the person to lie down. Loosen the clothes if the person is wearing tight cloths. Monitor his pulse and breathing. If the pulse or breathing is getting reduced, understand that he needs emergency medical care and start performing aids that helps in regularizing the breath.