Tips for Washing Your Hair to Make It Healthier
You’ve bought an expensive shampoo that your stylist recommended. But somehow you seem to be having more bad hair days than good ones. Greasy hair, hair fall and an itchy, flaking scalp have left you utterly confused… and fuming!
If all of the above are happening with alarming regularity, you need to change the way you shampoo and wash your hair.
Here are some small but important tips that will change the way your hair looks and feels after a wash:
- Comb your hair thoroughly before washing it. This loosens up dandruff or any other residue on your scalp, making it easy to wash off.
- Use only lukewarm water to shampoo. Hot water will cause the oil glands in your scalp to produce more oil and make your hair greasy.
- Wet your hair till it drips and then apply shampoo. This will ensure that the shampoo spreads evenly over your hair.
- Work your shampoo to a lather before applying. Without lathering, the shampoo will simply form a coat on your hair. This will make it very difficult to wash off even after using plenty of water.
- After applying the shampoo, wet your hair a little once again and massage your hair using circular motions. This step will also make it easier to wash off the shampoo.
- Use plenty of water to wash the shampoo off. If shampoo residues remain on your scalp, it will cause dryness, boils and finally hair loss.
- Use about 2 large drops of shampoo for each wash.
- Shampoo twice, particularly if you have oiled your hair.
- Rinse your hair till you see no more lather in the water and your hair feels absolutely clean.
- Squeeze out the excess water to retain moisture.
- Apply a conditioner and leave it on for about 2 minutes. Wash with cool water only. Lukewarm or hot water will damage your hair.
- Let your hair dry before combing it. Use a large-toothed comb to reduce hair breakage.
- Use your hair dryer sparingly, particularly if you already have hair loss.
- Make sure you are following these tips for washing your hair in your shower routine and make your hair healthier and more manageable.